Thursday 7 April 2022

Setting up a new project

Today I needed to set up a new project. The administrator for my course is expecting a baby girl in July and I want to make a baby quilt for her. I started the morning by spending a little time going through my quilt patterns. I finally decided I would make the butterfly quilt. I made this quilt a couple of years ago for one of my students and really liked the way it looks when completed. It has the added advantage of using scraps to make the 9 patches. This morning I spent some time sorting scraps and making piles of squares. I needed 18 piles of 9 two and a half inch squares.



On Friday, when I next have sewing time, I will sew them into 9 patch squares.

Next I pulled my neutral box of fabrics. In the end I decided to use cream as the background fabric for the butterflys.. The fabric needed pressing before I could cut the squares.


I wanted bright colours for the butterflys so I pulled out my batik fabrics. These should give a great pop of colour to the quilt.


I have sufficient bondaweb to use for the applique. I'll get the butterflies cut out tomorrow evening.

Tomorrow I need to look through my yarn stash as I want to knit a shawl for Katy's baby. I think I have sufficient yarn to make it.  

When I finish work tomorrow evening I am on leave for two weeks. I'm really looking forward to it as I have a lot of things I want to work on. 

Take care

Lyndsey

6 comments:

  1. Such pretty fabrics! It’s going to be a pretty quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt is going to be beautiful and what a lucky little girl she will be to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's going to be a beautiful quilt! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Batik butterflies sounds delightful. Will you have enough time to knit a baby shawl for Katy's new baby? They take ages to knit, dont they? Enjoy your two weeks off work. Ni doubt you have plenty of sewing, knitting, tripping around planned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your baby quilt is going to be gorgeous & something I'll keep in mind as I have one more to do. I've already given away 3 or 4 in the last 6 months to people I'm acquainted with & showed the latest on my last blogpost. Look forward to seeing this one done. Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete