Monday 11 December 2023

A weekend away and being unwell.

The two items in the title are not linked apart from they happened in the same period. On Friday John and I set off to Bath to stay at our favourite hotel. The drive there was good with no problems and we arrived in the light. At this time of year we try to leave home early so the last part of the drive is completed in the light. I find the glare from headlight very tiring on the eyes these days. We decided we wouldn't visit anywhere on the way, but we would enjoy the scenery and a chance to spend time together. This trip was to celebrate my 70th birthday and I'd already enjoyed opening presents and cards. Once there we settled into our room and planned what we would do on Saturday. I knew we would be visiting Midsommer quilting and I wanted to get some wadding and more curved pins. I couldn't resist this piece of fabric in the reduced box.



Otherwise my purchases were small with some fat quarters and a kit to make a dinosaur back pack. I've been racking my brains for something to make for grandson and this was perfect. I also bought some wadding.



The shop had an exhibitions of 12 inch quilts. They do this every year and most of them are auctioned to raise money for the local hospice. The theme this year was past times or pastimes. There were a lot of quilts so I picked some of my favourites to photograph.


The title of this one was Making hay whilst the sun shines

Red sky at night shepherd's delight.

This one was Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

This one by De is titled Field of dreams and I would love to win this one in the auction.

I

I also liked these boxing mad march hares. Back in the spring when out on a country walk John and I saw two hares boxing. It was a spectacular sight.


Another favourite, Don't judge a book by the cover. That saying is so true, the cover of some books often leads you to believe it will be interesting but the cover is the most  part of the book.


It's all water under the bridge by Leslie Irving was another interesting quilt with lots to look at.


Finally a second quilt titled Red sky at night shepherd's delight.

Having finished stroking fabric and chatting at the quilt shop we drove to Slimbridge to do some bird watching. There was a lot to see and the day wasn't as cold as it might have been. We visited several of the hides including my favourite which has large glass windows and heating. It got dark very quickly as we drove back to the hotel and the wind decided to get quite strong and gusty. I was relived to park the car and go inside.

The wind got stronger overnight and the rain wasn't showing any sign of giving up so we jettisoned our idea of a walk and drove home early. Unfortunately the drive became a little tortuous as the quickest route, the M4 had a major accident so we headed across country to the M3 but that had planned closures nearer into London. Not a problem we got home safely.

All was fine until about 1:30 a.m. when I woke up feeling very unwell. I think I had eaten something that didn't agree with me or that I have an allergy to, when we stopped for lunch. You don't need the whole story but it did involve vomiting. I was also feeling faint so I sat myself on the bathroom floor which has ceramic tiles. They were nice and cold and I felt a bit better but unfortunately I must have fainted as I have a large lump on my forehead where I hit the floor. I had taken my phone with me when I left the bedroom so I called John and he came and rescued me and helped me back to bed. I haven't been to work today and spent most of the time in bed but I am feeling slightly better. I will take tomorrow off as well to make sure I am fully fit especially as I drive to work.

I had planned to do some sewing this evening but that has been scrapped. Maybe later in the week I'll get to that.

For now I'm going to bed and I'm hoping I will feel much better in the morning.

Take care

Lyndsey


4 comments:

  1. Not sure when the birthday happened so a belated birthday wish. Looks like the trip was worthwhile with little quilt show & shopping spree, except for the weather. So sorry to hear you've been unwell since. I do follow along but can't comment on my old laptop & we've been super busy & I'm in a slump due to family pressures with my younger brother who will also be 70 early next year. Get better & have a lovely Christmas if I don't get to hear from you before then. Take care and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, that sounded nasty. Take care and hope ou recover well, and soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday, Lyndsey! Sounds like some good fun was had and you made some nice purchases. Thanks for sharing those lovely quilts with us and I hope you are feeling better after that unpleasantness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated birthday wishes. Hope you are feeling better by now. The 12 inch quilts are really pretty, and the backpack will be too.

    ReplyDelete