Wednesday 13 December 2023

Panic and soothing sewing.

Thank you everyone for your best wishes to get better quickly. John and I, are both feeling better. Younger daughter is now unwell but slowly recovering. 

On Tuesday morning I decided to check a regular monthly order I have for cheese. This is special cheese not just cheddar or whatever for cooking. As a family we love cheese and we look forward to the cheese delivery. I couldn't remember if it was this coming weekend or just before Christmas that it would be delivered. So I went into my account and ended up just staring at the screen. The cheese was to be delivered this week but where was my Christmas turkey order? I did my order back in early November and I also ordered some beef as we had visitors coming later in the week.  The order for Christmas wasn't showing, in fact all that was showing was an order for garlic. Panic set in very quickly and as soon as the phone lines opened I was frantically ringing in. The staff were very helpful and soon my order was back on the system but we never worked out what had happened to it. I had received an email a little while back asking if I had been trying to change my password, but I hadn't so no further action was needed, but it's possible that may have caused part of the problem. Anyway my panic at the thought that we may not have had Christmas dinner if I hadn't checked my account was averted. Not a stress I like in the morning this close to Christmas.

Having sorted that problem out I decided to stroke and pet some fabric whilst calming my nerves and deciding what I needed and wanted to work on. The fabric petting was soothing and I decided to make a start on the dinosaur back pack for our grandson. I started by cutting all the pieces out and then made the front of the backpack. I also stitched the cords.


The zip opens the dinosaur's mouth. I trimmed the ends of the zip ready for sewing the side seams.

I then spent some time working out I wanted to do with the back. I like the spots but I want the dinosaur to have standing up spines so I'm going to cut the back lengthwise in half and insert some stuffed spines. That should make it more fun for a small boy. I will need to get some toy stuffing before I can make that part.


The whole panel has these borders and I know I will be able to use them in a future quilt.

I packed up my sewing as I need to pull some fabrics to use to make the spines. I know I'll find something suitable in my collection of fat quarters.

I spent the rest of the afternoon sorting my craft books and patterns. There were several books that I hadn't used in years and no longer wanted. These will go to the charity shop tomorrow. I do have a new book that I ordered and arrived today. I now have lots of small embroidery projects I can complete for my doll's house.

I'm going into work tomorrow so I won't have any time for sewing but I hope to finish the dinosaur bag on Friday.

Take care

Lyndsey





2 comments:

  1. The backpack is going to be so cute! I love the mouth ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE, LOVE, that bag I have a five year old grandson who is dinosaur mad at the moment, I must remember to come back to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete