Sunday 24 December 2023

Feeling better and ready for Christams

I am still slowly getting better from the cold and chest infection. I've also had a beautiful bruise on my forehead which is now a yellowy green and my eye is still several shades of purple from fainting and banging my head. Reminder to self, in future make sure you faint onto something soft rather than a hard floor! The run up to Christmas Eve has been busy and tiring but fun at the same time. The shopping is all done, all presents wrapped and the house all cleaned. Time to relax and enjoy.

I have managed to do some sewing over the last few days. I slotted it in between various jobs. The main sewing was to finish the dinosaur back pack for grandson. I'm very pleased with the result. He's very into dinosaurs at the moment so he should like it. I just need to trim some ends.



I also made the dinosaur toy that came as part of the pattern.

I spent a little time making the baby doll for the dolls house. This pattern is very small and I wasn't sure I would be able to complete it. I have the adult and child dolls to complete but they are all cut out. The baby took a lot of fiddling as it is so tiny and I learnt a lot making it. I'm viewing this as a prototype and I have fabric over to make another one in the future. As a first attempt I'm very pleased with it but the report card says, could do better!


I made several mistakes in adding the stitches to make the chin, ears and hands which is why I know I will make another in the future.

Yesterday we met up with Katy, Olly and grandson for a walk at Kew Gardens. It was a perfect day for a walk, cool but dry and not too much wind. Grandson was very interested in visiting the lake and seeing the ducks. He talks none stop and is interested in everything. When we got to the lake he spent a little time dropping pebbles into the water from the bridge and then chatted to the ducks and geese. He was also fascinated by the fox that sat and watched the proceedings.


We walked past Kew Palace which was the summer home of King George III in the 18th century

Many trees had shed their leaves but this one was still clothed in  beautiful orange leaves.


Grandson was very impressed with the number of geese but he told them they were naughty for being on the garden. These are Greylag geese.


In the evening I did some stitching on my Poppies on Goodwins Lane piece. I shall be working on this later and I will try to finish it over the Christmas break.


I'm linking this post with Kathy from Kathy's Quilts for her Slow Sunday Stitching. 

This year we are having two Christmas meals. This evening we will have our 'at home' Christmas meal and tomorrow we are going to Katy and Olly's for dinner with them. It will be fun to be with them and our grandson. He is excited about Christmas and loves the decorated trees and lights.

I'm going to spend some time quilting the hexi quilt. Once I've worked out the timetable for cooking dinner the rest of the day is my time. I'd love to get this quilt finished this year of possible.

Take care

Lyndsey




 

7 comments:

  1. What a fun backpack! I’m sure he will love it! Gorgeous place for a walk. Lovely stitching too. Merry Christmas! Gail at the Cozy Quilter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable backpack. Your poppy stitching is coming along nicely. Glad you are feeling better. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the dinosaur backpack. Enjoy your stitching. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are feeling better & although I do read, can't always get comments to appear & am having so much trouble with blogger. Love the fox watching & hope you have a great day with family. Take care & hugs from down under.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A dinosaur backpack, how fun is that! So pleased you are feeling better from your chest infections, but fainting and falling hard doesn't sound at all good. Do take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a lovely holiday, Lyndsey! You created such a fun and practical gift for your grandson. I'm sure he will be super excited to use his fun new dino backpack!

    ReplyDelete