Thursday 7 May 2020

Brain rebooted and plans for May

After my minor melt down last weekend I have spent some time enjoying the quieter, calmer aspects of life. Teaching remotely is very tiring and I've needed to make a lot of changes to my lesson plans. Running a distance learning course is great when that is how it was written and what the materials were prepared for. Anyway I realised I'd been getting myself wound up about making the sessions as perfect as possible so my students had a great learning experience but as a result I'd run my own batteries down and felt a bit rubbish. Taking the bull by the horns, this week I talked to my student groups and found out what they wanted and needed to feel well supported at this time. Now I can tailor what I do to their needs  and we will all be happier. Having sorted that out I have more time to spend on sewing.



I have a lot of sewing projects I'd like to move forward this month but with One monthly goal I need to make a choice. My main goal is to complete the hexie bag I'm making.


This is a small cross body bag. At the end of last week I'd finished stitching the front hexies together and was working on the back and the flap.


I've got a few more hexies to add to the back before it is finished . I've also got to prepare the facing for the flap before I can stitch it all together. I love the way the patterns on the batik play against each other.

The bag is my main goal but I want to finish my tuffet this month as well. During the last few weeks of working from home we have done some redecorating and sorting. We've decluttered the house and we still have plans for further improvements. The tuffet will fit nicely into the decoration of our main room and I can't wait to have it finished. I now have the long upholstery needles I need to attach the button. I then need to attached the cover to the base and add the legs. In the picture the button is just sitting on the top to show what it will look like.


The fabrics in the tuffet cover are so bright and cheerful and they make me very happy.

Finally I want to finish stitching Millicent. Not that long ago I managed to find her having misplaced her months before. I've done some work on her but I still have a fair way to go. The little kitten in her pocket is very sweet.


Finally I'm taking part in the 'It's cool to be square' blog hop in a couple of weeks time and need to finish my project. All in all this is going to be a busy month if I going to complete my goal and other projects

Tomorrow is a bank holiday and Monday is my day off for next week as I only work 4 days. That gives me a four day weekend so I will have some time for sewing.

I'm linking this post with Patty from Elm Street Quilts for  the May one monthly goal link up I must go visit and see what folks are going to be working on this month.

I hope you are all staying safe and well. Take care

Lyndsey

4 comments:

  1. I really love your tuffet. Such vibrant colors. It makes me smile just to look at it. I think Millicent is my favorite of the Bag Ladies. Can't wait to see her complete. Have a great four day weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your little hexies are so cute. I’m glad you located Millicent. You have a lot on your plate. Nice to get some days off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your buffet looks great, but I'm imanging sewing the button on might be difficult perhaps? Sorry to read that your distance learning has been difficult and draining for you, but you seem to have have settled on another solution now, it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That hexie bag is cool. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.

    ReplyDelete