Sunday 17 May 2020

Busy being busy.

I've recently become more energetic again. Under normal conditions I'm fairly active at work. I try to use the stairs unless I'm going from the ground to the eleventh floor, I like to go for a walk in my lunch break and if possible I walk Scamp when I get home. Since we started working from home my activity level has dropped dramatically and I have been feeling sluggish. Last week I'd had enough and started doing a daily workout. The first few runs through it I felt exhausted and achy but now I can complete it all and I feel great. The added bonus is I have more energy and that really helped today as I set myself a long to do list. 

I started the day by cutting out a dress pattern. Last week I order two patterns. I found it so much more relaxing sitting at the computer going through the patterns available, than being in the shop. I added the patterns I liked to my wish list and then made the final decision of which two to buy. Last year I meant to buy or make a couple of summer dresses but never got round to it but this year with more time I'll be ready for the height of summer. I took my time matching the pattern and cutting out and made sure to snip in the notches to make assembly easier.


Here in the UK there's a TV series called The Great British Sewing Bee. It's run for several seasons now and this season is now on week 4. The programme is recorded rather than going out live which is good because Covid 19 would have put paid to the season. 12 amateur sewers started the season and each week the judges pick the garment of the week and they also send one sewer home. This week must have been week 4 as there were 9 sewers. Each episode has 3 parts, a garment from a given pattern, an alteration challenge and a made to measure challenge. It's fun to watch and provides a great conversation topic with my colleagues at our online Friday breakfast club. The programme is what pushed me to complete the blouse I made last week and has got me back dressmaking. Since I have quite a lot of dressmaking fabric in my stash this is a very good activity. Nice clothes I've made myself to wear and space in stash for new supplies. Win win.

I finished the curtains for my bedroom. All the decorating is done and once the shops are open again we can buy new carpet to complete the job. The bedroom has been a bit of a dumping ground whilst the rest of the house was decorated and now we have the job of getting everything returned to where it should be or consign it to the rubbish if no longer needed. The windows in our bedroom face south so getting a picture was difficult on a sunny day.


The teddy bear collection really do need to go back to their owners. By the time I'd put the curtains up my arms were aching. I put the kettle on for a cup of tea and set about making a cake. I'd been asked to make a chocolate cake and to cover it with melted chocolate. I always like to oblige my family!


Once the cake was in the oven I took my tea to the living room for a rest and found Scamp and Picasso in their favourite spots.


Poor Scamp really does need to have a good trim. He was booked to be groomed the week after we went into lock down but that was cancelled until they re-open. He's had a bath which he enjoyed and he likes being brushed but he prefers short fur. We have to trim his muzzle and around his eyes so he can see where he's going and to stop him dripping water off his muzzle every time he has a drink. If anyone comes to the door they are both wide awake and ready to protect the family.

My job this evening is to sew the binding onto my project for the 'It's cool to be square' blog hop. I'd show you a photo but then I'd have nothing left to show on Wednesday. The hop starts tomorrow and here's the blogs taking part.




2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, you were a busy bee this week. I’m glad to know someone else has been sluggish during this quarantine. I really need to get out and do some walking. Our weather isn’t particularly motivating, and we’ve done quite a bit of work on the yard, but I still need more. We’re planting our garden this week...maybe June will have me more energetic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Great British Sewing Bee. I wish I could watch the current season in Canada.
    Enjoy your hand stitching!

    ReplyDelete