Monday 28 February 2022

February goal finished.

 


February has been a very up and down month with both Picasso and Scamp being unwell, the weather being awful at times and having a little too much work to do but I am very pleased that I have completed my goal for the month. I set out to finish the tortoise block and the Noah's Ark block and I have managed this. They do both need a press but at least they are done.


I moved the flowers slightly on this block but the marks will come out when I wash it.  I love the completed boat block.


It's a great feeling when you achieve your goal for the month. I also set myself a goal of reading two books a month. I smashed that in January by reading 4. 


My favourite of these four was The Midnight Library by Matt Haig. Somewhere out beyond the edge of the universe there is a library that contains an infinite number of books, each one the story of another reality. One tells the story of your life as it is, along with other books for the other lives you could have lived if you had made a different choice at any point in your life. 
Nora Seed finds herself faced with a decision, to pick another life, stick with the one she has or die. Faced with the possibility of changing her life for a new one, following a different career, undoing old breakups, realizing her dreams of becoming a glaciologist; she has to search within herself as she travels through the Midnight Library to decide what is truly fulfilling in life, and what makes it worth living in the first place. 

The Hunting Party by Lucy Foley tells the story of a group of old college friends who stay at the hunting lodge to celebrate New Year. One of their number is murdered. They are all friends and one of them is a killer. The plot is good and kept me guessing for most of the book.

Letters on Motherhood by Giovanna Fletcher was interesting. She has written letters to her three sons and to friends and family who have inspired her to be the best mother she can. It's always good to know you weren't the only one who finds or found dealing with several young children exhausting. I enjoyed the book but it's not one excited me particularly.

The fourth book, Miss Austen by Gill Hornby is set in England, in 1840. For the two decades following the death of her beloved sister, Jane, Cassandra Austen has lived alone, spending her days visiting friends and relations and quietly, purposefully working to preserve her sister’s reputation. Now in her sixties and increasingly frail, Cassandra goes to stay with the Fowles of Kintbury, family of her long-dead fiancé, in search of a trove of Jane’s letters. Dodging her hostess and a meddlesome housemaid, Cassandra eventually hunts down the letters and confronts the secrets they hold, secrets not only about Jane but about Cassandra herself. This book was an interesting read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

I'm linking this post with Patty from Elm Street Quilts for the final link up of the February, one monthly goal Now all I need to decide is what I'll work on next month.

Take care

Lyndsey



 




1 comment:

  1. Great stitching!
    Love your book reviews. I’ll be looking for Hunting Party and Midnight library. Both sound my kind of book.
    Thank you for the lead.
    Barbara x

    ReplyDelete