Friday 16 August 2024

Festival of Quilts part 2.

Since we visited the Festival of Quilts, John and I have been very busy helping Katy and Olly get their wedding fully organised. The reception is taking place at their home and they wanted to make some changes. The day after seeing the quilts I demolished an old shed in their garden whilst John helped with some DIY indoors. I have also made two long cushions and covers for their window seat. I still have a small cushion to make. They  wanted some bunting to decorate the garden and so I made a lot using up some old fabric scraps. It has been fun but tiring. I still have some pompoms to finish making. Sadly I haven't had time to work on any of my own projects but I'm hoping to get some time this week. As a result I have nothing to show you but I do have some more photos from the Festival of Quilts.

This quilt was the winner in the pictorial category. It was made by Immaculada Gabaldon from Villaviciosa de Odon Spain and is titled 'Flora'. She writes, 'in this quilt I wanted to play with the ambivalence of a dancer whose dress resembles a floral corolla and thus the observer has the option of discovering the human figure hidden under the appearance of a flower.'


'From Turkiye with love' designed and made by Ekaterina Kylych from Istanbul Turkiye. This was the winner in the novice category. Entrants to this category should have been quilting for fewer than 3 years and hold no formal qualification in textiles or related subjects.   The quilt is an expression of the makers love of anything Turkish.


This quilt was the winner of the group category. Called 'Quilter's Quarters' it was designed by Dilys Fronks and made by The Quiltesses from Elton, Chester. UK.. The group has 6 members,  Marion Barlow, Dilys Fronks, Barbara Harrison, Sue Horder, Jenny Mann and Su Sisung. They commented that they all had their sewing space so decided to recreate them in our own individual style.' As a group we always try to add humour.'



Helen Brookham and Sandy Chandler from Launceston UK won the two person quilt category for 'Demelza'



This quilt by Sylwia Ignatowska from Zurawica Poland, titled 'Challenge' received a lot of attention for the design and the thread work.


This quilt by Diane Wilks from Romford UK was 3rd in the Sustainable Quilts category. It included sashiko and boro embroidery. The quilt top and back are constructed from damaged clothes that would otherwise have gone into land fill. No new fabric was used in this quilt.



This quilt made for the Youth category was designed and made by Abigail Clinton from Swindon UK and titled 'Surprise'  Abigail states that she loves caves and always imagines peering in and finding surprise treasure and this is what she has tried to recreate.


This quilt is the first prize winner in the contemporary quilt category. High and Deep was designed and made by Kim Aeran from Bupyeeong-gu Republic of Korea.


For some reason I can't identify who made this piece. My apologises to the creator. I love the colour and the shapes of the pieces.


This quilt was the second prize winner in the novice category and is Drunkard Earth by Viktoria Brave from Demorestville, Canada.



Johannon Davis from London UK designed and made The Whale. This was inspired by lino prints and seascapes and was designed to create a bold scene.
I've included this next quilt because it caused a lot of speculation with viewers asking what were they looking at and could it really be about....? This is 4th wave designed and made by Lucy Morrison from Uckfield UK. It was inspired by the 4th wave of feminism and the fact that 'the degradation of the planet's natural systems has a disproportionate effect on women and girls' UNESCO. It is a celebration of the variety and beauty of the vulva. Most women at the show found it amusing and liked the quilt. My apologises for including it if it offends you.



West of the sun designed and made by Sarah Entsminger from Ashburn United States. Stories told on a hot summer porch influenced her dreams of a bright place filled with colour and magic.


This quilt was the 2nd prize winner in the two person category. Mutual symbiosis No 1 was designed and made by Judith Lyons and Vendulka Battais from Stanstead UK. In mutual symbiosis the skills and attributes of two entities combine to the benefit of both. This quilt is a true collaboration between friends.



I hope you enjoyed this group of quilts. I still have a few more and I will share them very soon. Tomorrow is our older daughters wedding and I still have some things I need to do before bedtime. I haven't made a final decision on what to wear yet ( I have a choice of three outfits) 

Over the last week I have managed to do a little slow stitching on the grandmothers garden quilt. I have also rolled a couple of skeins of yarn into balls ready to get back to knitting my jumper. It has been far too hot for knitting this last week, even if I'd had the time. Now the day has cooled I need to walk Missy and Twiglet and we need to water the hanging baskets. I'm back at work next week but I hope to get back into some sort of routine with my various projects, but I will be playing catch up this month.

Take care

Lyndsey

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, so many of those quilts are fantastic works of art. I truly enjoyed them!
    The wedding will be wonderful! All your hard work will pay off for sure.

    ReplyDelete