Monday 26 August 2024

Finally some sewing.

The weather here in London has been a little up and down. One day we seem to have a hot sunny day and the next is rain all the way. I've given up believing the weather forecast as it is usually wrong. However the rain has helped to perk up the garden and the roses are having a good second round of flowers. On Tuesday, Twiglet went to the vet to be neutered. He had already decided that he disliked the vet even though all he's been for is his vaccinations. He dug his paws in and refused to move as we got near the door. He may be a Yorkshire terrier but if he doesn't want to move it doesn't happen unless you pick him up! All went well with his surgery and Missy was very happy to see him home again later that day. He had his post operation check up on Friday and he is doing very well. He's back to full activities.

On Wednesday of last week I agreed to do some additional work which needed doing by Tuesday (tomorrow). I have been fitting my sewing around the work, which involves quite a lot of writing. To try and get both done I decided to split my time, and I achieved both activities. I've now added all eleven rows of the indigo quilt.


I'm still shocked at how inaccurate my cutting was. It isn't too big a problem as the quilt is making up quite nicely and quilting is very forgiving. I have a couple of triangle rulers but when I was cutting this I couldn't find them so I cut out the template from the pattern and then cut it both in cardboard and thin acrylic.


If I put the acrylic over the paper template you can see the problem. The cardboard template is even more wonky.


Anyway the main part of the top is complete and now I need to add the two borders and hunt for some backing fabric.

In the evening, whilst watching TV I've been sewing the grandmother's garden quilt. I needed to make a few more 'flowers' to complete the round. This has slowed things up a little. I have 30 'flowers' attached to the quilt but need 42 for the whole round. I have 8 yet to sew on and need to make 4 more.



Such lovely bright colours . This round of the quilt looks so pretty. The next round is orange but I am going to start squaring up the quilt as it would be difficult to use as a hexagon. 

So far this month I haven't made the 6 remaining dinosaurs and I haven't started knitting the front of my jumper. There is still time to get the dinosaurs done. That would leave me September to make up the quilt top and October/ November to do the quilting. I have planned this quilt as a Christmas present so I need to get it finished.

Today, John and I visited our favourite garden centre. We like it because the plants are always in good condition but it also has a cafe that serves very tasty lunches. We bought several different plants but without looking at the pots I can't remember the names. We will get them planted in the garden tomorrow after work. I also bought some bulbs, daffodils, crocus, grape hyacinths and allium. We need to think about where we want to plant them. We need to go again soon as I want to plant up the window boxes ready for the winter. 

It's been a full day and now I'm tired but I want to read a chapter of my book before I go to sleep, so I'm going to stop for now. I challenged myself to read 30 books this year and so far I've read 20. I'm really enjoying having got back into the habit of reading .

Take care

Lyndsey

2 comments:

  1. Well done fitting in some sewing whilst so busy with work, family & pets. My cutting isn't always that accurate either, but remember fabric has different gives in it. Oh...for your gorgeous garden centres with both plants & cafes. (sighing). Glad to see your reading once more and enjoying, as I've started doing the same, as I was once a very avid reader, but since moving to this particular house, it waned. I may put on a photo of a couple of books I've read recently now that I've worked out some of my problems with this new PC setup. Have a lovely week, take care & hugs from Oz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hexies look great! They look like calm sewing projects. Barbara @ Cat Patches

    ReplyDelete