Tuesday 10 March 2020

Enjoying the purr

I only work 4 days and today was my day off. I normally try and add my day off to the weekend but currently I teach a class on Mondays so I had to go into work. If I can't add my day off to the weekend I like to take it on a Wednesday as then I work 2 days have a day off and only have to work another 2 days to get to the weekend. I needed to do some cleaning before I could have fun so I swiftly cleaned the kitchen and the bathroom, feed the washing machine and tidied things away. I also wanted to mark 3 essays and decided to do that next so I would have the rest of the day and into the evening free to do just what I wanted. 

On Sunday I'd joined the fabric for my curtains and planned to try and get them made today. I knew it was a tall order as the curtains are double width of fabric and fairly long so it was going to be a heavy job. I needed to stitch the widths of lining fabric together and then put the whole curtain together. I had a little help from Picasso. He lay on the fabric and had a good roll leaving lots of fur on it. so I had an extra job to do. He also enjoyed himself pulling out the pins I'd used and dropping them on the floor. All this was done accompanied by very loud purring. Before I started any sewing I took time out for a cuddle with him and finally he settled down for a nap and I was then able to get on with the job. Here's the curtain fabric ready to go.




It wasn't just Picasso purring today, my machine joined in as it zipped up the seams. The slow part was pressing the fabric and and moving it around on the table. It made a change sewing some long seams. When I stopped for the day the first curtain was complete with header tape added and hem all done. All I need now is a day to make the second curtain.




Last evening I sat and stitched the binding on the baby quilt. Picasso was sat on my lap and purring loudly as usual. I put an old sheet between Picasso and the quilt so I didn't get any pet fur on it.  I got the job finished and now just need to get some wrapping paper to parcel up the quilt. 


After dinner I used the magic clips to fold the binding on the Christmas quilt and I started to stitch it down. I used the dark green for the binding, picking up on the fabric used for the stars. This will take several days to stitch as it's a big quilt being over 70 inches square.


I have problems using thimbles but stitching on the binding always leaves my fingers sore. Do you use a thimble and if so what sort. I'm trying the stick on ones at the moment. When I use a normal thimble I never seem to have it on the right finger or I need to push the needle with the side of the thimble and it slips.  I can use the stick on ones on more than 1 finger and they're comfortable to use. .

It's nearly time for bed now and Picasso is still purring.  My day off has certainly been a purrfect day. I've move some of my sewing projects forward and I've also had some planning time. In between Picasso and I have spent quite some time cuddling. Casso hasn't been well for several months. He's an old boy and his kidneys aren't working properly but he still loves life. Oddly as a kitten he wasn't keen on being held or cuddled but now he loves lots of contact and shows his satisfaction with very loud purring.

I'm really hoping to finish a couple more projects this month. We are away at the weekend as we're going walking with Lucy, so there won't be much time for sewing. I'll just have to be more organised in an evening to fit everything in. 

Lyndsey

3 comments:

  1. You are making great progress. I to have the same problem with thimbles and use the stick on kind but I am not really happy with them either. I always want to push the needle through where there is not a thimble. Talking about Picasso pulling the pins out made me smile as my Tiff Kitty would do the same thing and lived to 21 but had the same kidney problem as your kitty. She was a very special kitty and enjoyed her life so much. I still find a hair or two occasionally on my older stash. She sure loved fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your projects are coming along so well. For some reason I couldn't access the baby quilt photo, but the others loaded just fine.
    Its been a long time since I sewed curtains, not a job I enjoyed at all. Good on you for doing this job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sewing machine purring is pretty satisfying! Way to go on all the bindings! I can't stand to wear a thimble. I try to keep the callus built up on my thumb and forefinger so I don't worry about it! :)

    ReplyDelete