Saturday 7 March 2020

Home from away

We arrived home this evening after a great couple of days away. I love our time away together, so relaxing and fun. Our plan for today had been to visit a castle and go for a walk but we changed our plans. Instead we visited a quilt shop and revisited Minsmere. I'm not sure why I suggested a change of plan but John was very pleased I did. As we walked towards one of the hides we came across a group of people with their binoculars trained on a rough area of bush. Of course we asked what they were looking at and were excited to learn they were watching adders. The snakes were too far away to take a photo so I borrowed this one from The Wildlife Trust.

Image result for adder snakes

There are 3 types of snakes in the UK, the smooth snake, the grass snake and the adder. The adder is a venomous snake but generally people don't die if bitten. They used to be quite common when I was young but their numbers have declined over the years. The last time I saw an adder I was 12 years old and John had never seen one which is why we were so excited. We saw 4 in total warming themselves in the sun. We were told that they were all males as the females wake later in the year than the males. The wardens said they expected the females to be out and about in a couple more weeks. After the excitement of the adders we spent some time watching the birds. 

On the way from our hotel to Minsmere we stopped at the quit shop in Bungay. I wanted to pick up some metallic embroidery thread and also some neutral fabric. I didn't get any thread but bought these fabrics


I bought the two fabrics on the left for an upcoming project and the neutral on the right is needed for another project. I saw the gorgeous blue fabric and just had to have some. I also bought these autumn buttons. They were just too cute to resist.


When we arrived home my subscription box had arrived. For the first time I really dislike the fabrics I've been sent. They really aren't the style I'd use and they appear very dated to me. Having said all that I will try to use them. I'll view it as a challenge.


When John and I visited the quilt show in February I bought these fabrics . Again these are for a project that I'll begin when I've finished up a couple of older projects.


Last evening I didn't manage any stitching as I was just too tired. I want the binding stitched down on the baby quilt so this will be my priority to complete this weekend. I love the fact we've had two nights away but still have the whole of Sunday to enjoy at home.  I've got about 20 minutes before I need to go to bed.

Lyndsey

1 comment:

  1. Not a snake fan although interesting you only have 3 species of snakes, but really love the fabric and buttons you purchased. Glad you and John had such a good time.

    ReplyDelete