Friday 27 March 2020

March One monthly goal


Working from home always sounds fabulous. My friends who've retired have told me I'll have lots of time for sewing, reading, gardening etc. The reality is different. To teach remotely is a lot more work than going into a classroom and presenting the material, running tutorials, seminars and marking. Not of course, that those activities are the limit of face to face teaching but you can switch things to suit the mood of the students or if their trains are delayed so half the group is late. Not so remotely, if the session is booked between time A and time B that is when it must happen or should happen. The problems start at that point because the students don't all have a computer, many access the teaching platform on their phones but that doesn't work well for group face to face over the internet. Some of the students who have a computer and internet are very IT challenged and are finding the whole time stressful and finally the internet is having serious trouble coping with everyone trying to use it at the same time for a whole range of things. I have a lot of additional activities prepared and already on the platform, such as quizzes, questions to answer, scenarios to work through but I need more to help the students who are struggling with the IT. My poor brain is feeling rather over worked and every so often I find myself just sitting and gazing out of the window with no thoughts in my head. Help is at hand in the form of stitching. Thank goodness!

The up side of working from home is that the travelling time has become additional stitching time. This means I have completed some projects. I always love a good finish, it's so much fun to celebrate. First there is my Christmas quilt. I finished sewing on the binding on Thursday evening. It is now packed away ready to appear later in the year. This quilt is so pretty that it makes me smile and I'm so pleased I decided to use green as the accent colour for the stars and the binding.



This was my main goal for March but I set myself a second goal and I also completed that. I'd started a knitted scarf for my brother after he lost the one I knitted him years ago. He asked for a scrappy scarf that was bright and colourful. This one certainly fits the bill. It measure 6 foot 6 inches long so he can wrap it round his neck a couple of times. It's now parcelled up and ready to go to the post office.


It was quick and easy to knit being just garter stitch. Sewing in all the ends took a bit of time but I finished that last night whilst watching Wallander.

I was hoping to have finished Constance this month but there is still a little to do on her....but the month doesn't finish for a few more days so I may slide that one in under the wire.

Today Lucy asked me to make her some pads from cotton fabric to use when taking her makeup off. She loves rabbits and I found this fun fabric with Easter bunnies, chicks and lambs on it to use. One pile of face wipes, one happy daughter.



So having finished two projects I am now allowing myself to start something new. I'm not sure what it will be yet but I do have some fun fabrics to play with. Plus my favourite quilt shop is still open for on line orders so I'm off to make a few decisions.

I'm linking this post with Patty from Elm Street Quilts for the March one monthly goal link up.

I hope you are all well, take care and stay safe.

Lyndsey

2 comments:

  1. So sorry your remote teaching is a challenge but having your stitching will hopefully ease some of the tension. Your Christmas quilt turned out truly beautiful. I am sure your daughter will smile using her little cloths. They turned out really cute, Anxious to see your new project. I am making face masks for local hospitals. They are wanting to put them over the protecting mask to conserve them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty quilt. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete