Saturday 7 November 2020

Christmas cake and things.

Yesterday was day 2.2 of UK lockdown and my day off work this week. Well to be honest I always try to have either Friday or Monday as my day off so that I have a three day weekend. Today, although it's Saturday, I am taking part in an online open day for work. Online works well and there is no travelling involved. It also always finishes on time . 

Thursday was bonfire night in the UK and there were a lot of loud bangs and flashes going on outside. Scamp got very stressed so we gave him a tablet that the vet had prescribed to help keep him calm. Meanwhile Picasso sat at the bedroom window and watched the fireworks. Scamp was fine for the rest of the night but yesterday he was very sleepy and just wanted to be cuddled. He enjoyed falling asleep in the arms of anyone who would hold him.

 

The main item on my agenda yesterday was to make my Christmas cake, which is always a rich fruit cake. I make my cake at the beginning of November which gives me time to then treat it with a little brandy every week during November. Early December I will add the almond paste (Marzipan) and then ice it. 


The cake will be divided up and each part will be iced and decorated separately. One quarter will go to my brother and a quarter will go to Katy and Olly. The remaining half we will use ourselves and if we are able to have people visit over Christmas we will share with our friends. The last few years I have also made a stollen but that's made much nearer to Christmas itself. With the UK being in lockdown 2 it is a little worrying thinking of Christmas and whether we will be able to spend time with other family members, especially Katy and Olly. I know our Prime Minister has said lockdown will end on 2nd December but can you really trust any politicians?

I made another  block for the Austen family album quilt. I had a small piece of the fabric that I've used in the centre square, literally just a half inch bigger all round. I'd been trying to find a way to use it  in the blocks and I finally managed it.


I now have 6 blocks left to make so I'm going to try to get them finished this coming week. All the fabrics I've used and may use are stored in a plastic bag. Once I've completed the blocks I will be able to put these back in my storage system and so tidy up my sewing cupboard.

Yesterday I had my regular appointment with the podiatrist. The chemotherapy back in 2017 played havoc with my nails and also caused neuropathy which still affects my feet and hands. Although I check my feet daily it is so reassuring to have them checked and treated by a professional. My big toe on my  left foot was causing me some pain when walking where the nail was growing at the wrong angle and so it needed sorting out. This can be a little painful but yesterday my neuropathy was causing numbness so the treatment was pain free. Today my feet feel fabulous and are problem free. 

The rest of yesterday involved household chores with floors to clean and ironing needing to be done. Oddly I like ironing especially if there is a play on the radio to listen to. The pile of neatly ironed items makes me feel good. Yesterday there were a lot of shirts and they looked good once ironed and on the hangers.

For now I'm off to do some hand stitching. 

Take care

Lyndsey



2 comments:

  1. Awww, Scamp is so cute. Love the toile center in your Austin Family Album. I am looking forward to the Austen embroidery. Perhaps after you get the sampler finished?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scamp looks pretty comfy there. Your cake looks so rich and delicious. Sorry about the second lockdown. I expect when our new president gets in office, we may be doing the same thing.

    ReplyDelete