Sunday 29 November 2020

Slow Sunday Stitching

Here we are once again at Sunday. The weeks have gone quite quickly since the UK went into lockdown 2 and on December 2nd that will be all over (for now) We will go back to a tier system and London has been placed in tier 2 which means we can't meet up with people in our house or theirs but we can meet up outside so long as there are no more than 6 people. The weather is getting a little cold for lengthy meet ups outside unless you are walking as well. That's OK for us as we all love walking. We can also go to visit art galleries and museums so today Lucy booked tickets for an exhibition next weekend at the Imperial War Museum. This is one we had hoped to be able to visit. Close to Christmas the restrictions are being relaxed for a few days, so we can meet up with Katy and Olly for a meal at our or their home. I'm not sure how the relaxation of restrictions will work out. It will probably mean lockdown 3 in the New Year. This week are my last face to face teaching sessions as all university classes have to go online from 7th December. That's OK as there are then only 2 weeks until the Christmas break.

Katy rang us to arrange a meet up on Zoom or Teams or something on Tuesday 1st December to put our trees up for the holiday period. We don't usually decorate until after my birthday on the 8th but it's not a normal year and it should be fun. Today I've moved things around in preparation for the tree. It always takes a while to rearrange everything but it's the safest thing to do as it means there are no trailing wires for the tree lights.

Sewing was on the agenda today but before I got started I was going to revisit cleaning the machine. When I used it yesterday a piece of fluff appeared on the bobbin side of my fabric so I must have missed it before. I set up the machine and turned it on but nothing would work. I tried everything I could think of and then went through the manual. This suggested disconnecting the foot pedal as a last resort. The machine came alive as soon as I did it. It was then I realised I was using the wrong pedal! I made sure there was no more fluff lurking in the innards of the machine before getting on with the stitching I'd planned. 

We'd been making some more prem baby quilts at guides just before the March lockdown. I picked up the tops on my way home but needed to order the backing fabric. It arrived back in June but I hadn't made time to finish them off. The lady who takes them to the hospital hasn't been around so there isn't a rush but I wanted to use the box they were in for another project.


This evening I'll hand stitch the opening used to turn then right side out. That shouldn't take too long. It will be good to finish another job. If I have time I'll also do some more work on the millennium sampler. Finishing Luna Lapin has meant I haven't touched it all week.

I did some baking today but I'll tell you about that on Wednesday, my day on the virtual cookie blog hop.

I'm linking this post with Kathy from Kathy's Quilts for her Slow Sunday Stitching.

Take care

Lyndsey

1 comment:

  1. We have an up sweep in covid too It seem us Americans like to take chances. We do have mandatory masks wearing but I don't think very many are as careful as we should be about getting together. We just had Thanksgiving and I think a lot of people traveled and got together for dinner. Time will tell

    ReplyDelete