Sunday 1 November 2020

Slow Sunday Stitching

The end of October and beginning of November is a real busy time. On 31st October we celebrate Halloween. This year trick or treat was severely curtailed as a result of covid 19 and the public address by the Prime Minister telling us that from Thursday England would begin a 4 week lockdown. No one rung our doorbell all evening which was probably a good thing as I'd forgotten to buy any sweets for the children.

Sunday 1st November is All Saints day. This was originally celebrated on May 13th but moved to November 1st by Pope Gregory III during his reign (731 - 741 AD) when he dedicated a chapel in Rome's St Peter's Basilica, in honour of all saints. All Saints Day recognises those saints who have attained heaven, but their sainthood is known only to God. Originally All Saints day was known as All Hallows and the 31st October was All Hallows Eve which eventually got changed into Halloween. 

Normally I decorate for Halloween, not over the top, a table topper, a Halloween gift bag,


and a table runner


but this year they stayed in the cupboard. Message to self, be more organised next year. I'm not sure how I managed to forget Halloween until yesterday evening.

So today I decided that since the UK will be going into a second lockdown later this week I needed to make the house feel really comfortable for the four of us. I decided that the whole house needed a thorough clean for a start. When I say thorough I mean moving all the furniture, polishing everything, mopping floors and cleaning windows. This morning I cleaned the living room and dining room. I felt absolutely worn out at the end but it all looks beautiful. Hallway kitchen and bathroom tomorrow.  I know it sounds silly to be madly cleaning but it helped take my mind off the whole situation.

Having finished my planned cleaning I pulled out one of my scrap boxes and started to sort and cut. 


I wanted some more 21/2 inch squares and other sizes. I seemed to be cutting for ages but the piles of neatly cut pieces didn't seem to grow very quickly.


Over October I've tried to do some hand stitching every day. I've been sewing hexies and have attached over half of the next round. I love this white round. During November I'll try and finish it


Here's a close up of the centre fabrics


I've also been working on my millennium sampler, slowly trying to get the borders finished.  This is what I've been working on tonight and will continue to work on this week. I had taken a photo but managed to delete it.

I'm linking this post with Kathy from Kathy's Quilts for her Slow Sunday Stitching

Take care

Lyndsey



3 comments:

  1. Hi Lyndsey, what a lovely hexie quilt. Good luck with getting the white ring done! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Halloween is kind of a non-event around here. We never get any trick-or-treaters, and without young children in our lives, we barely notice it. Love your hexie quilt. The white border really sets off the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute Halloween topper and runner, Lyndsey! Best of luck with the rest of your pre-lockdown deep clean. I find cutting is best done in dribs and drabs. Otherwise, it seems to take FOREVER!!

    ReplyDelete