Wednesday 25 November 2020

Musings

 I've been doing a lot of sewing related activities this week but I haven't got a lot to show for it. You know the activities I mean. First up was cleaning the sewing machine of all the fluff it had managed to collect since the last time I did it. Unfortunately I can't remember the last time I cleaned it. This year has played havoc with my memory for this routine but oh so important maintenance task. It took a little time but the machine is now feeling pampered and happy. I also changed the needle. After that I used up the rest of the cut pieces to put together a few more bear paw blocks. These ones are the same as those already made. On Friday I will cut some more blocks but the background fabric will be slightly different.  This pile has now grown but I didn't take a new photo.

I've been working on Luna Lapin and I've made both her arms. This evening I will attach them and also add her button eyes. I'll need to embroider her nose as well. To move this project forward I spent some time today cutting out the pattern pieces for her dress. I was going to cut out her coat as well but my box of felt must have been put up in the loft. I'll have to hunt for that another day. I did cut out a second rabbit, this time using white felt which will be another Christmas present.

The boring sewing for the day was several items that needed mending, a seam on a sweatshirt that had been caught and pulled undone a little, several buttons to be replaced and a small hole in a jumper where Picasso had caught one of his claws. Mending is not one of my favourite activities and I tend to leave it until I have several items needing attention. I know it would be better to do any mending as soon as the problem is identified. 

Tomorrow, Thursday is Thanksgiving in the United States and we will also be celebrating it. Lucy usually meets up with 11 friends to celebrate Thanksgiving. They started the tradition whilst students at university and they spend the year planning and looking forward to the event. They hire a cottage that is big enough for all of them, share the cooking and eat and drink too much. This year was always going to be a problem and Lucy decided she would not be taking part a few months ago. Several other members of the group couldn't understand the need to cancel but in the end it was agreed to share an online Thanksgiving on Friday. It can't happen tomorrow because Lucy had already decided we'd celebrate as a family. John and I are teaching face to face tomorrow so Lucy and Richard are doing the cooking. Meanwhile John and I are under strict instructions not to be late home. Both Richard and Lucy are good cooks so I know the food will be delicious and I'm really looking forward to the event. I do feel very lucky that I have two of our children living with us during these strange times.

Next week Carol from Just let me Quilt is hosting the Virtual Cookie blog hop. This is always a fun event and I usually pick up some new recipes. Here is the schedule.

December 1

Creatin' in the Sticks

Doreen – Just Let Me Quilt Guest

Bumbleberry Stitches

Home Sewn By Us

Quilt Schmilt

Food for Thought

Life in the Scrapatch

Ms P Designs USA

Just Sew Quilter

Cathie's Craftworks

Cynthia's Creating Ark

 December 2

MooseStashQuilting

Karen's Korner

Sew Many Yarns

Selina Quilts

Pieceful Thoughts of My Quilting Life

Days Filled With Joy

Words & Stitches

Just Because Quilts

Beaquilter

December 3

Quiltscapes

Websterquilt

DayBrook Designs

Karrin’s Crazy World

Samelia's Mum

Songbird Designs

For The Love Of Geese

Stitchin At Home

Dreamworthy Quilts

That Fabric Feeling

 December 4

Just Let Me Quilt

Quilt Fabrication

DesertSky Quilting

Seams To Be Sew

Happy Cottage Quilter

Pumpkin Patch Patterns & Quilting

The Darling Dogwood

Kathleen McMusing

Scrapdash


Don't forget pop over to see what everyone has come up with. Now I need to finish Luna Lapin. I'll post a photo on Friday.

Take care

Lyndsey

3 comments:

  1. I will be cooking Thanksgiving dinner today. It will be just the two of us but I will be preparing a plate for our son and alert him when it is ready. I dread the thought of him eating alone but it can't be helped since he does not live with us and his job puts him among lots of people daily. Enjoy your meal and your progress on your projects sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to seeing Luna Lapin. It’s a cooking day for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What pretty Bear Paw blocks, Lyndsey! Looking forward to the new additions (and progress on Luna, too.)

    ReplyDelete