Monday 2 November 2020

Sampler and Luna Lapin

Today, the 2nd November is All souls' Day. All Souls day is observed by Christians, mainly Roman Catholics, to pray for the dead. All Souls' day is also known by other names including 'Feast of All Souls', 'Defuncts Day' in countries such as Hungry, Italy and Ecuador, 'Day of the Dead' in Mexico or 'Commemoration of the faithful departed'. This is a day for remembering and praying for loved ones who have died. Some churches hold  requiem masses and people will often visit the graves of loved ones. When John and I walked in the cemetery yesterday there were a lot more people than usual visiting and caring for the graves. It's not a day we celebrate but I did spend some time thinking about my parents. Not that you need a special day for that and I often find myself reminiscing about my parents when we do something that in past years we would have done together. I'm not at all sure what they would have made of the Covid 19 pandemic. The first photo is of me and mom. I would have been about 7 or 8.

 
The second is me with my dad taken on the same day. As usual the hem of my dress is coming down. Put me in a clean outfit and within minutes it would be dirty and falling apart.



I have been working on my millennium sampler over the last few days. It's slow progress, having been working on the computer all day my eyes are tired and I can't stitch for long. I'm trying to finish the  border on the right hand side over this week.


Now that I've finished the hexie bag, which is a present for someone, I need to get on with another present I started making. I have time to get this completed before Christmas if I get a move on. Ages ago I bought a book with instructions to make a rabbit, Luna Lapin.


I cut the pieces and started work on the rabbit but put it to one side so I could complete another project. It's now time to get this one finished.


I shall enjoy working on the rabbit whilst watching TV tonight. I've really got into the series Unforgotten, a British crime drama series. I'm halfway through series 2. In all there are only 18 episodes so it wont be long before I'll need to find something else to watch. All suggestions very welcome, we have Netflix and Amazon Prime. So plans for my evenings this month are a little time spent on the sampler and then switching to stitching the rabbit. That way I should get both finished.

Today I was busy with work so I didn't get time to blitz the cleaning in the kitchen and bathroom. I'll add that to the agenda for tomorrow. I'm also hoping to have time to bake my Christmas cake sometime this week or next. I love baking the cake as it fills the house with a fabulous scent whilst it cooks.

Tomorrow I'm attending an online study day so I will be able to do some stitching during the day. I find stitching and attending a study day to be very soothing and I generally take in more information.

For now I'm saying goodnight and take care so I can do some stitching.



5 comments:

  1. That little bunny is going to be SEW darling!! It looks like you are getting to the end of your Sampler, Lindsey. It's border would make interesting shapes for an applique quilt, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved seeing the photos of you and your parents. Some things I do recall memories of activities I did with my parents. Looking forward to seeing the finish of your sampler. It is lovely. The bunny is so sweet. I know whoever you gift it to will love it..

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are such precious photos. I have some patterns for those kinds of rag dolls from Anne Wood, I think. I love them. So cute. I can’t tell if my identity is being revealed in these comments. It doesn’t appear so, but then I publish, and there it is. Anyway, identifying myself just in case. Barbara at threecatsranch at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing the photos of you and your Mum and Dad. Sure to bring back memories for you. As I'm getting older I find I'm reflecting back a little more often too.
    Your stitched sampler is coming along well, looks like just the border to complete now?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your stitching can't wait to see your bunny..suggestion Midsomer Murders. I really like it, but the 1st detective is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete