Friday 27 October 2023

Quilting, stitching and baking

This week at work has been pretty hectic but the joy of only working 4 days is that today I'm free to do some sewing. In my head I made some plans, start the quilting on the hexi quilt, do some slow stitching, maybe make a cake and then I thought just take the day as it comes. This is what unfolded.

To start with Missy's quilt was finished a couple of days ago and she is using it and has made it her own. Her sleep mat is in Richards room and her quilt was laid out on top of the mat. She has scrunched it up and added a couple of cushions that she has stolen from Richard's chair. She likes her quilt and has made herself a snug bed. The photo just show the  quilting on the star including the heart.


Having finished Missy's quilt I made a start on stitching the binding down on the bag ladies quilt. I've been working on it again this evening and I'm now over halfway. This should be finished tomorrow evening.


This morning I started the quilting on the hexi quilt. This quilt was started in 2014 as my quilt for the rainbow scrap challenge that year. I am keeping the quilting simple by going round the hexes and then adding two rows of stitching to each side of the block. I went off this quilt once it had been stitched into a top. This was for two reasons, I didn't like the colour combinations and it isn't particularly well sewn. I started my blog in 2012 and picked up quilting again that year. When I say picked up quilting again I have to admit that until that time I'd never completed a quilt and in 2014 I was still a novice at adding sashing and borders. I really should have taken the sashing apart and re stitched it but I decided to leave it and cope with the anomalies. By the time the quilting is finished there will be a few 'glitches' where the sashing isn't even or the fabric is not cut straight. Even with anomalies the quilt will fulfil its purpose very well. I completed 3 blocks this morning.


Tomorrow I will do some more quilting and also do some work on one of the doll's house dolls. I have everything I need to get these made.


John and I are having a craft afternoon tomorrow and I want to spend the time tiling the roof. I also need to sand down the stairs. I was going to make a cake and some bread today but didn't so maybe tomorrow will start with some baking.

Take care

Lyndsey

4 comments:

  1. I like your bag ladies quilt, such fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so pleased Missy loves her very own quilt. Those little dolls look so fiddly to make, good luck with that job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A finish, a near finish, and some good quilting progress, Lyndsey. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You’re getting a lot done! I’m excited to see your doll’s house dolls. I’ve made a few dolls, but never really followed through with it. Curious to see what you’ll do. Barbara @ Cat Patches

    ReplyDelete