Sunday 10 November 2019

Fast, slow stitching

This morning I got up early as I wanted to squeeze in a little sewing before I started on my marking. Having given Picasso some cuddle time I was able to set the machine on the table and get my project box. I managed to complete 3 more blocks before I needed to stop so now I have 6 blocks completed and 3 more to make. Hopefully I'll have time to make them tomorrow. I'm not posting a picture of the completed blocks because they look very similar to ones I posted yesterday. If I have a little space later I'll start cutting the sashing. There are friendship blocks in the sashing so this will take a little longer to complete.

I spent the rest of the morning and all through the afternoon marking and I managed to finish all the papers I needed to do. Not that they are actual papers, everything is uploaded to the TurnItin. 

That left me free this evening for some slow stitching. Well slow knitting to be exact. I needed to pick up stitches from the front of the yoke , knit across the stitches on the stitch holder and then pick up down the other yoke front. That done I embarked on knitting the collar. The first ten rows were straight forward knit two, purl two but then I had to do something new to me. To shape the collar I needed to knit short rows. I followed the instructions to the letter including the part about wrapping a stitch and turning. It all went rather well and I managed to complete the whole collar.



I can't remember the last time I knitted so quickly. I was adamant I would finish the knitting tonight. By knitting faster than usual I don't need to stay up ridiculously late. Now all I need to do to finish the jumper is stitch the sleeve seams and attach the bottom edge of the collar to the bottom of the yoke.. I'll try to do that tomorrow evening. It's great to be so close to a finish as it seems ages since the last time I finished any thing. My only panic is about how good a fit it will be. I'm not sure why I'm panicking as it's knitted in John's size and the tension is right to give that size. Do you panic if you're making an item of clothing for someone?

I'm linking  this post to Kathy's Slow Sunday stitching Pop over and see what everyone's been working on. there always lots of lovely stitching eye candy.

I've more marking to do tomorrow but I shall be making time for sewing at some point during the day and I also want to make my Christmas cake.  For now I need to go to bed and sleep.

Lyndsey




4 comments:

  1. Your knitting is lovely. LOVE the cabled pattern around the neck and the collar is perfect! A gorgeous finish. You should be cozy and warm wearing this pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great finish, I know John is looking forward to wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a complicated looking neck section... very impressive knitting skills!
    I always panic worrying about things fitting, and had some disastrous (too large and too small) attempts so I don't do it anymore!
    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your knitting looks amazing. I’ve tried and failed at knitting, and so I’m very impressed by people who can pull it off.

    ReplyDelete