Saturday 2 November 2019

Little Miss Muffet can almost sit on her tuffet.

The day here has been cold and wet , which meant it was much better to stay indoors. I had some household chores to sort out plus cleaning up after my son. Richard was commissioned to make a robot which is going to be used in a film. There seemed to be bits from the making of the robot all over our living room. It is remote controlled and has a Bluetooth connection inside. All those hours watching Blue Peter when he was young certainly paid off. For those of you from other countries Blue Peter was a much loved children's programme that covered just about everything a child should know about plus there were regular craft projects. Tracy Island was the highlight of all the craft projects they did.




Having sorted the house I needed to decide what sewing to do. I decided to try and get my tuffet finished. I'd pieced the top and the seams had been pressed open a while ago. Before I could put the pieced cover on the tuffet base I needed to cover the foam base with upholstery wadding. The hardest part was trying to work out how to put the staples in the staple gun. Once I'd worked that out I attached the wadding being careful to make sure it was smooth and there were no tucks. Once that was done the pieced top slipped on very nicely. I covered the large button that fits in the middle of the top and my next job is to attach the button. I can't do that until I get a 12 inch upholstery needle.



Once the button is properly attached then I can add the bottom cover and the legs. I'm really looking forward to finishing this project.

This evening I've been working on John's jumper. All I have left to knit is the collar. To do this I need to pick up stitches along the edge of the yoke. I'll do that tomorrow. This jumper should be all finished by the end of the week. No photos this time, I'll post a picture when it is completed. It funny isn't it that we use different names for objects. I call this a jumper but someone else may call it a sweater or a pull over. Is the name difference to do with different styles or is it about the country we live in. 

I was browsing through the shelves where I keep my craft books and remembered that I had this one.



The book has patterns for quick to make projects and they all take short lengths of fabrics. I'm hoping I will be able to find a couple of projects to make with our Ranger unit. We haven't done any crafts for ages and Christmas is the perfect time to try out some new skills. I'm going to make a cup of tea and browse this book. If I find a suitable project, tomorrow morning I will spend some time stroking and choosing fabric for the girls to use.

Lyndsey

2 comments:

  1. Here in Canada we call them sweaters.
    Sweaters can be pullovers or cardigans ( buttoned up the front)
    Jumpers here are dress type garments that you would wear a blouse or a sweater underneath.
    Yes --- it is strange how things are called by such different names in other countries.
    I always enjoy reading your blog --- thank you !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tuffet is fantastic! I would call John's jumper a pullover or sweater. Will look forward to see the finished project.

    ReplyDelete