Saturday 30 November 2019

Just slipping in under the wire

This week has been a low productivity week for sewing but I have cleared a lot of paperwork and long overdue projects for work. However in the middle of juggling my work life I remembered to ask John to bring my second machine downstairs so I could finish off my Christmas quilt top. I'd taken the machine upstairs as there is a nice sized desk that I could make use of for quilting and that would mean the machine could sit on there ready for use whenever I wanted it. There it has sat because I like working at the dining table and being part of what's happening in the house.  


Anyway John carried the machine downstairs and I pulled out the Christmas quilt thinking it would be a really quick job to get it finished. The machine had thread that was perfect for piecing in both the top and the bobbin so no need to sort that out. I turned it all on and had a little fiddle to try and remind myself how it all worked and I was ready to go. The fabric was under the needle and I put my foot on the pedal  which met with alarms going off and the needle being broken. I'd forgotten that there are three needle positions and when using the quarter inch foot the needle has to be in the middle position. Then I needed to check the manual as I couldn't remember how to change the needle or how the self threading mechanism worked. Eventually I was ready to go again and this time everything worked well. Within 15 minutes the quilt top was complete and John was available so I could take a photo..



This was my one monthly goal for November and I pleased to have it completed to this point.

November OMG FINISH link-up is open!

I can't move on with this quilt until next week as I need to buy some backing fabric. I have the wadding and what I need for the binding. The quilt finishes at 68 inches square and will be really easy to quilt on the big machine. I'll have a play at some practice free motion quilting later tomorrow so I remember how it all works. Don't ask why I haven't been using this machine since its stitch is amazing. I think it's because I've had the Elna for so long it's part of the family. It's great for dressmaking and repairing things but does cause a lot of problems when I use it to quilt things. It's got to go for a full service so I'll take this opportunity to bond with the quilting machine.

I'm linking this post with Patty of Elm Street Quilts for the November finish link up I'm also linking with Sarah for Can I get a Whoop Whoop



I've got several jobs I need to finish today but I'm hoping to grab some time to finish the second elf slipper this evening and I must make my Christmas cake.

Lyndsey


5 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting your Christmas quilt put together!! Every year I wonder if this will (finally) be the one that I get my own together. Well, maybe 2020 will be the year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Christmas quilt top is looking great, top done and now up to the layering and quilting stag. One step at a time and you will get there soon. Perhaps not in time for this Christmas?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Christmas quilt is lovely. It looks so festive. So glad you have a back-up machine so you can keep on schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quilt top looks great - Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh...I’ve done that sort of thing with my sewing machine too...try to zig-zag with a straight stitch plate...that sort of thing. Never works out well. Your quilt top looks great though. Nice to get it sewn together.

    ReplyDelete