Sunday 12 January 2020

Slowly hand stitching.

I love Sundays as it's family time and a chance to chill out and relax, the quiet before the rush of the next week at work. Today has been a lovely Sunday. John and I enjoyed a leisurely breakfast before we headed into central London for a walk. We wanted to complete the Jubilee walkway. This is a route that takes in major London landmarks. It was set up to celebrate the Queen's silver jubilee in 1977 and is 15 miles in length. We've covered some of this route when completing other London walks but we wanted to fill in the gaps. The day was cool but the wind made it feel quite cold. Our walk started at London bridge. Some of the London high rise buildings are interesting if odd shapes. This one looks like an old style Nokia phone.


We walked along the river and past HMS Belfast, a World War 2 Town class light cruiser. Belfast was saved from scrap and is now permanently moored on the river as a museum


The docks and warehouses along the river are now being used as social spaces and restaurants and shops.


Walking over Tower Bridge I got this different view of the Shard. I'm still not sure whether I find this building attractive or a nightmare. You can't get a picture of the whole building, only where it rises above its surroundings


Somewhere on the route we walked past this building. I don't know if it is anything special but I liked its crazy over the top decor.


We passed Guild Hall which is a municipal building in the City of LondonThe building has been used as a town hall for several hundred years, and is still the ceremonial and administrative centre of the City of London and its Corporation


We passed St Pancreas station. This is the hotel in front of the station. It has been refurbished recently.


This is looking at the other end of the building, its huge.


Once home I was going to do some more quilting on my Christmas quilt but I was feeling a little tired and in need of a rest so I sat and read instead. Over the day I've walked over 12 miles so a chill out before settling to do some slow stitching was much needed. As I told you I finished Earlene and I'm pleased with the result. 


I've also been working on the scarf I'm knitting for my brother. I'll sew in all the ends when I've finished the knitting.


I needed to pick another hand stitching project to work on. I have another bag lady, Constance, to complete. This is how far I've got.


I also want to finish Rabbit's Garden so I can frame it to give to friends whose baby girl is due in February. As I want to gift this next month, this is the stitching I'm going to work on next. 

I'm linking this post with Kathy for her Slow Sunday Stitching. Do go and visit to see what everyone has been working on this week. Meanwhile I'm settling down with my stitching and I'm going to watch the new Vera.

Lyndsey

4 comments:

  1. How lovely to spend your Sunday taking in some of the sights of London. Love all the fascinating architecture. Your bag ladies are fun and the sweet rabbit is very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your photos of London, such a marvelous city!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, look at all your stitcheries! Earlene is fabulous!! I enjoyed 'taking the stroll' with you and seeing the sights! It's really fascinating to me! Todd and I have a lovely Sunday routine that I enjoy. After church we generally go somewhere to eat, then we grocery shop for the week, then we come home, unload groceries, take a nap (maybe) and then we'll watch a movie and I'll stitch or something. It's a good day to just breathe and enjoy and restore/replenish inner peace! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Incredibly beautiful architecture. I got a chuckle out of the Nokia phone...picked it out right away.

    ReplyDelete