Thursday 23 January 2020

Winter Blues Blog Hop

This week is the week of the Winter Blues Blog Hop and today I'm very pleased to welcome you to my blog. 



It's been very cold these last few days in London and I've had to scrape ice from my car before I could drive to work. We also had fog which made driving miserable but I'm feeling really happy as there has been such a lot of beautiful quilt candy to see each day. Many thanks to Carla for organising the hop. 

As soon as I read about the hop I knew just what I wanted to make. I'd had a pattern for a mini quilt for some time but I'd never got round to making it. This is the pattern by Rose Johnston who can be found at Threadbare Creations.


This mini finishes at 16 and half inches, perfect for my table. I had all the fabric I needed for the top and a piece of solid fabric for the back . Up to that point all was going smoothly. Having decided the placement of the colours I started to cut the patches. I usually cut as I go along but because this is a mini I cut all the pieces first. When I started to piece them together I found that I had misread a couple of the cutting instructions. I re-cut new pieces and carried on. The middle of the quilt was a little fiddly to put together because the pieces are quite small but after that it went together well. It wasn't long before I had a finished top.


Having got this far I found I needed wadding. I thought I had a small piece left that would be perfect for this mini but I couldn't find it in my cupboard. I had a day off on Monday so walked up to my local quilt shop but they had sold out and weren't expecting a delivery until today (Friday). Never mind Carla had said it didn't have to be finished. Then as I was writing this on Thursday evening at 23:00 I remembered where I'd put the wadding. Unfortunately I need to sleep so it will get finished this weekend.

I don't often make quilts that only use two colours but having made this mini I have a hankering to make one and blue and white seems the perfect colours to use.

Now you need to hop over to the other people who are showcasing their creations today. I can't wait to see what's on show. 

Friday, January 24th


Lyndsey

31 comments:

  1. That is definitely a beauty! How lovely to be able to "walk up to the corner quilt shop". =) That's one of Rose's patterns, I think. I have liked her patterns forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m jealous of walking up to the corner quilt shop. I do finally have a local shop but certainly nothing I can walk to! Your topper looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the blues in your star in a star block. Fabulous job! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely mini. It will make a great table topper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lyndsey! Oh no, I'm sorry to hear it is so cold in London. I have a good friend that visited for work this week and she was looking forward to popping all about after work commitments. I'm sure she did anyway because it is, after all, London!! Your piece is beautiful. I love stars, and stars inside stars inside stars just rocks. I had to giggle about your wadding issue - we've ALL been there. I know I have the PERFECT piece somewhere - now where did it go?!! Happy Friday to you. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful mini. Perhaps use this as block 1 in a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fiddly means it's going to be amazing and it is! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a beautiful block and after doing the math I am very impressed with the center star. That didn't come out right. I was impressed with the block before I did the math just a different impressed ;-} I hate using pieces that small that require making sharp points and your piece makes it look effortless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, Lyndsey, this is so beautiful! I can never make things look so good with such small pieces, but you really did an amazing job on this. I love the fabrics and how lovely they went together. Thank you for sharing this sweet quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful block, and piecing. I have trouble with tiny pieces. You did a wonderful job on this! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful, and I am in awe of the tiny pieces. I am not too good at it. Your looking for wadding made me giggle. I have those epiphanies occasionally too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are certainly small pieces in the middle, but it is worth the effort. This is a beautiful piece and perfect in blues. Thank you for joining the Winter Blues Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, sometimes it's the smallest thing that makes the biggest punch. You hit the nail on the head with this one. Beautiful quilt. It's funny how we never seem to have what we need when we need it, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful block!! This would make a pretty pillow, too. I love your fabrics for this!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The center of your block is really tiny!! You did an amazing job on the block and it will look fabulous on your table!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful block! At 16" it must have some really small pieces. You did a great job piecing it together. Love the colors you chose. Definitely a winter blues chaser!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well done on working with such tiny pieces. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very pretty! Great fabric choices and pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really pretty little quilt. Those blue fabrics are great together.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely job on your Star Cluster mini! Thanks for sharing it with the Hop (and happy quilting.)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a nice blue mini! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a lovely little quilt - I'm glad you remembered where the wadding is so you can finish it! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like you mini quilt and your story on how you made it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. So pretty! I love Rose's patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your top! Hope you get to finish it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a lovely little gem of a quilt! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's very pretty! Have fun finishing it.

    ReplyDelete