Sunday 14 June 2020

A stitch here and there.

I like Sundays as traditionally they are days when as a family we  rest, slow down, and prepare ourselves in body, mind and spirit for the week ahead.  In recent times that has been particularly important as each new week seems to have it's own worries and challenges. Here in the UK many people seem to think Covid 19 is done and dusted and want to rush headlong into getting back to the old ways of life. It is becoming more challenging when going shopping to socially distance and the same when out taking exercise. Today being Sunday is my chance to enjoy being at home and to have a slower pace prior to the rush of working tomorrow. Sunday always sees me dithering as I decide what to work on and the logistics of spending time chatting with John, Richard and Lucy while ensuring that at the end of the day I feel I've accomplished something, however small.

Richard is at work today so I sat and chatted with John and Lucy for a while, mulling over the news from around the world. This is an opportunity to pick up something I can do with my eyes closed almost, no need to keeping looking at what my hands are doing. That being the case I picked up my crochet. I'm using up my left over yarn by crocheting granny squares to make into a throw. I need 400 squares in all and so far have about 150. Whilst we chatted I made 4 squares to add to the collection. This is a recycled photo as 1 square looks very like another. I need equal numbers of bright colours and whites/creams. Recently I been using up my white yarn.


When trying to use up scraps they never seem to get any less, it doesn't seem to matter if it's yarn or fabric. Having made a scrappy scarf for my brother and made loads of crocheted squares I still seem to have the same amount of left over yarn.


This morning I set my machine up briefly to stitch a block. Back in the mists of time, I'm not sure when, I started making the blocks for the Austen Family Album which appeared each week on a blog. I got so far and then other projects took over and it disappeared into the depths of my storage box. I pulled it out yesterday and decided it needed to be finished. I'd saved all the block instructions and I decided to try and make at least 3 blocks a week until it's done.  Today I made one and cut the pieces for the second block. I'll sew that one tomorrow.



I thought this would be easy until I realised that the corner pieces had to be added as a set in seam. It was a bit fiddly but I'm happy with the result.

Having completed the block I put the machine away and John and I headed out for a walk.  We're trying to walk 4 miles a day and this week I have managed that 6 days out of the 7.  Once home I needed to make a decision on what to work on for the rest of the day. I still have to complete the hexie bag. I've started attaching the webbing that forms the sides of the bag. 


I also need to complete Charlotte. I did some work on her earlier in the week.


I
'm very happy with how this lady is coming along. I have some very small buttons for her jacket.  I think I'm going to work on Charlotte this evening as completing her is my one monthly goal for June. 


I'm linking this post with Kathy of Kathy's quilts for her Slow Sunday Stitching  



Lyndsey


4 comments:

  1. I remember Austen Family Album. I
    also remember around that time you sent me embroidery patterns with a Jane Austen theme. We ought to do that sometime together. A project always seem more interesting participating with someone else. Oh and perhaps we can Zoom visit and show our progress. Charlotte is progressing nicely. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We’re bored with COVID here in the USA too. It’s as if nobody is worried about dying any more. Your quilt block looks good, and I can see how it might be quite a puzzle to put together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice blue and white block, and your embroidery too :-)
    I used to quite enjoy shopping (in the old days), but I really don't like it now, some people just don't get it, do they?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that it is important to have a variety of projects, including hand stitching that can be done without much concentration so you can participate in conversation at the same time!

    ReplyDelete