Wednesday 24 June 2020

At last it's summer

On Saturday it was the astronomical summer solstice. This is the exact moment the northern
hemisphere is tilted closest to the sun and it is the longest day of the year. It's also the first day of summer in astronomical terms as opposed to June 1st which is the start of the meteorological summer. At Stonehenge there is usually a traditional celebration but this year the monument is closed so English Heritage filmed the sunrise  for YouTube and over three million people watched the sunrise on line. It was a rainy, cloudy sunrise but since then the weather has been improving and on Tuesday, we have had glorious sunshine. John and I sat out in the back garden to eat lunch but I didn't stay outside for too long as I hadn't put any sun screen on and I could feel that I was starting to get sunburn.

I started stitching together the front of Alex's cushion cover. This went together very quickly. Everything went together perfectly and I enjoyed my sewing time. I've got a lot of teaching and marking this week so squeezing in sewing time was very relaxing. I sent Alex a photo and he was really happy with the cover. He's redecorating his boat and said the cushion will be perfect. Now I need to get a cushion pad and then I can post it to him.


I used some of the remaining charm squares to piece the back.


Today I was teaching and had a couple of meeting so minimal sewing time but I managed to make a few masks. John wanted two and he chose the red and grey fabrics. Lucy wanted the flamingo fabric. Lucy's mask looks tiny next to John's 


I need to make Lucy another mask and a couple for Richard. They aren't exactly the most inspiring sewing but the job has to be done. At least the fabric choices are fun. Richard wants some Star Trek fabric for his masks. 

When I was going through my sewing cupboard checking out my UFO's I found a tote bag I'd started and never finished. I like the bag and want to get it out of the cupboard and into use so I need to decide which fabric I'm going to use for the lining. As you can see I just have the lining , straps and closure to add.



Tomorrow I will make the lining ready for completing the bag on Friday, which is my day off. It feels really good to be catching up with my UFO's, but I still need to get on and finish my oldest UFO, the millennium sampler. I received this cross stitch kit as a Christmas present in 1999 and it's been 20 years in the making so far. I hopeful that this will be the year I finish it.


For the next two days I need to concentrate on work and put sewing on hold. I have a few difficult jobs to complete this week that need my full attention . Friday is Richard's birthday and I need to do some baking. I'm not sure what sort of cake he might like this year as he hasn't dropped any hints. When he was a young child it was easy because he would always want chocolate cake but now it depends on his mood. I hope it;s carrot cake.


Restrictions in the UK has been loosened today and social distancing has been reduced to 1 metre.  I'll try and keep further away from other folks as I really don't want to get ill. People are taking this as a sign that we are back to normal but it is definitely anything but the old normal.  My advice to everyone is to take care and stay safe as these are still difficult times.


Lyndsey

1 comment:

  1. I’ve made masks in two sizes too, and mine look small next to the guys. I kind of need an in-between size. The larger size is too big, the smaller one a little too small, but it works. I love that cross-stitch quilt. I’m not sure I’ve seen it before.

    ReplyDelete