Tuesday 17 August 2021

Grocery orders and other things

I don't know if it's just the UK that is experiencing the strangest shortages at the moment. I have a grocery order that will be delivered this evening but there are a lot of substitutions being sent. Some of the substitutes make sense but others leave me totally bewildered. I wanted a tin of mandarin segments for a dessert I make but instead will receive an individual pot of mandarin in jelly. The email also shows that instead of 3 bottles of 4pints of milk I will receive 3 bottles of 2 pints of milk. That means I'll only receive half the amount ordered, but there isn't a milk shortage. I think I have 6 substitutions in this weeks order. If I don't want to keep a substituted item I just have to return it so I'm not wasting any money but it still confuses me why they can't send a similar product or at least the same amount of an ordered product when a substitution is made. I guess I'll just have to do a quick whizz round the local supermarket to top up the items I'm missing. Thank goodness that quilt shops ring you if they haven't got exactly what you want, and will discuss alternative products with you.

Yesterday was a no plans day which was probably a good thing as we needed to pop over to older daughter with some paperwork for her. Whilst doing that I arranged to get my DBS done as I need it before we can restart Guides in September. Since the person who could do that lives in the same area as my daughter it saved a journey. In the end we went for lunch with older daughter and her partner which meant it was getting towards late afternoon by the time we drove home. I had such sewing plans for the day but never mind I'll catch up.

Today i did some marking in the morning. I then got the machine out and made a start on my wrap over skirt. I didn't do much but the dart are done and the pocket flaps added. Tomorrow I'll sew the side seams and probably finish the skirt.


I'm trying to finish the white round on the grandmothers garden hexie quilt. This is now my oldest UFO and I would love to get this finished in the near future. It would be good to finish it this year but I think it will be into next year before I do. Here's how far I'd got with this round the last time I showed you a picture.


Now I've only got to add 5 more flowers and the row will be finished.


I've already made the flower with the yellow centre but I still need to stitch together the other 4 flowers.

I did end up dancing a happy dance today as this squidgy parcel was delivered.


This is my order of wadding from my favourite quilt shop. Tomorrow I will be able to get the dancing hare quilt sandwiched and ready for quilting. I was going to get on with the quilting on the Austen family album quilt but all the hand stitching I've been doing has made my arm sore. The quilt is very large and heavy so I'll wait until my arm is less painful before I restart the quilting.

Tomorrow Scamp has a trip to the groomers. We are trying a different place this time. We couldn't get an appointment at our usual groomers until the end of September and Scamp needs his fur sorted out now as it is quite long. He usually enjoys the experience so I hope he will be happy with a change of venue.

Tomorrow I want to get the quilt sandwich made and also continue adding the borders to the bag ladies. I will also try and get 2 or 3 of the hexie flowers added. I'm trying to get a lot of sewing done before I get really busy at work in September.

Take care
Lyndsey

1 comment:

  1. Your hexi quilt is looking lovely & admire you for sticking with it. Must admit my tub of shame hasn't nearly as many UFO's in it any more, but I do need to finish my Bedding Plants quiltalong to do a post at the end of August. It is one being run by Jo Avery in Edinburgh & I've been using only scraps & larger white background bits from my stash to make it. It's been fun, but the scrap tub doesn't seem any less (giggle). Hope Scamp approves of the new groomer. Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete