Saturday 7 August 2021

Things to do

Yesterday I met up with some of my colleagues for our online Friday breakfast club. We had a good gossip with lots of laughter which put me in a great mood for the day. Since I was feeling good I pulled out the Austen family album quilt. I need to get on with the quilting but the quilt is huge so I'd been putting it off. I was in such a good mood that it seemed the perfect day to get going. I'd already started one block but run out of energy to move the quilt around. I had the whole dinning table to support the quilt's weight and I'd topped up my quilting threads so I was all ready. By the time I stopped I had finished three blocks and the sashing surrounding two of them.


This block I'd already started but I wasn't too happy with the flowers and half flowers. I had thought I'd unpick them but when I looked yesterday I decided against that. The quilt is for our use and I decided to treat it as a practice piece for free motion quilting. With that in mind I finished the last little bit on this block and also did the surrounding sashing.


The second block I did with a small meander background and swirly lines on the tree/flower. This was fun to do and my machine was working well. The King Tut thread I'm using runs very smoothly through the machine.

The third block involves some meander in the small triangles but I did straight line quilting on the large triangles, switching the direction 90 degrees between the two colours. The lines of stitching meet really well and I like the effect it produced.


Trying to get the photos was a bit of a problem as I took them by the machine rather than laying the quilt out flat. Having finished the 3 blocks I stopped as my arms were feeling tired. I could have worked on for a bit longer but I prefer to quit while I'm still enjoying what I'm doing.

Next I pulled out the rabbit embroidery I had completed a while back. I hadn't decided how I was going to use it but I now plan to incorporate it into a baby quilt. The photo below is before it was completed but I can't find the photo following completion.


I spent some time planning the size and pattern of this quilt and today I will start pulling the fabrics.


I also need to identify my goal for this month. Last month I completed my goal but forgot to post to the link up party. Never mind, at least I completed my goal. This month I want to work on this quilt.


The top is all done and I want to piece the backing and sandwich the quilt ready for quilting. I'll be happy if I complete that but if I have time I'll try and start the quilting. I'm linking this post with Elm Street Quilts for the August OMG link up

Today we need to go and buy wood for another home improvement project that John is working on. I have some ironing to do and then I want to quilt another couple of blocks. Older daughter may be coming over as she want to do some sewing and use the dressmakers mannikin. She bought some fabric when we went shopping a couple of weeks ago and now needs to get the dresses made. If she does come over I will have to stop quilting as I currently only have one machine working.

Take care
Lyndsey





2 comments:

  1. Your quilting looks great, and good for you deciding to leave it as is. In my experience, it’s hard to find those areas we’re not happy with once the whole quilt is finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilting is great & I applaud you for FM quilting on your domestic machine as my back couldn't do it any more on a large quilt. Look forward to seeing the next baby quilt come to fruition & how you quilt the dancing hares quilt. Ooh, you've a new photo on your header & my blog is so plain. I actually posted yesterday after a month of feeling blah! We are in lockdown #6 & it's starting to get to me somewhat & with one of our dreariest winters for a long time. Thanks for sharing your lovely work & keeping me motivated along the way. Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete